Welcome to the first ever voting page for the WDA Design Awards!
A little over a week ago we asked you, the incredibly-attractive web designers from all over the world, to submit your best design that you recently launched.
We received a total of four great submissions (see them here)… we were hoping for a bit more but there will be more competition next month for sure!
March 2015 Design Award Nominees
Here are the submission in alphabetical order, click on a thumbnail to launch the website and see more details:
We want to be helpful and supportive of all design submissions, so here’s what we think…
- LIKE – Nice background image (of the woman in the city).
- LIKE – I like the center navigation menu and how the lady seems to be looking at it.
- LIKE – Nice signup form, I know what a pain it can be to style those.
- LIKE – Like how the direction the lady is looking changes on inside pages.
- LIKE – I like the blog page, it’s nice to use images with the latest blog posts instead of just text.
- NO LIKE – The quick menu transition and then the menu disappears (it should stick to the top of the browser when the visitor scrolls.)
- NO LIKE – Homepage opening content could use a heading / graphic.
- NO LIKE – Footer should be much shorter for the amount of text that’s in that spot.
- NO LIKE – Could use more pops of color and a few more well placed images.
- LIKE – When the homepage first loaded, I thought… OMG! Gorgeous photo! Great job putting the logo on it.
- LIKE – Overall great first impression it made me think “this looks like it’s going to be a really nice sushi restaurant” (which I <3).
- LIKE – Great use of background images.
- LIKE – The 3 boxes have nice balance…clean, simple and nice.
- LIKE – This is a great example about how having really great photos can help enhance the overall design of the site!
- LIKE – Clean and modern.
- LIKE – It makes me really hungry for sushi right now!!!
- LIKE – Nice positive message and scripty font.
- LIKE – Nice bright colors.
- NO LIKE – I found the color swatches on the menu a bit confusing. I thought it was a legend for colors (link meaning to colors).
- NO LIKE – The scrolling images seemed a bit random (a clock? A TV? What’s the message here?) When I clicked on the scrolling images, I didn’t have a way to know what page it was going to bring me to.
- NO LIKE – Placement of the social media icons (header or footer would have better.)
- NO LIKE – Why is the content in iframes?
- NO LIKE – There is a broken image on the About page.
- LIKE – Nice photography (that’s a beautiful area).
- LIKE – Really nice background image slider on the homepage.
- LIKE – Nice colorful buttons.
- LIKE – Like the sidebar styling, the signup form fits nicely right there.
- NO LIKE – The navigation menu color feels like it’s a random color. The logo has a bunch of bright colors…to compliment the logo’s color scheme the menu should be one of those colors.
- NO LIKE – The footer has an a bit of unused space and could be shortened up a bit (but overall the placement of the content is nice!)
- NO LIKE – Empty text widget at the bottom?
- NO LIKE – The testimonial area seems way to tall. A testimonial rotating plugin could be used to shorten up the height.
- NO LIKE – The inside pages needs some color, maybe use one of their gorgeous photos to create an image that goes across the top of the inside pages to add some color.
- COMMENT – More padding between menu entries (they seem a bit crunched).
- COMMENT – Add a sidebar on homepage to organize the content a bit better.
MY VOTE – As you can tell, the winner for me is definitely IBUKI SUSHI. The photos, the layout, the logo… it’s all working! Great job!
- LIKE – This has a really nice ‘Latest Posts’ section on the homepage… great color from the photos helps an otherwise cold scheme.
- LIKE – While it has nothing to do with design, the advertising revenue from the site goes to help fund two little Ugandan girls education… which is awesome!
- NO LIKE – The header navigation menu gets weird as you scroll.
- NO LIKE – It’s a very cold color scheme (lots of light blues and grey), it could use some more color on the inside pages.
- LIKE – This site has amazing photos of sushi (apparently those are NOT stock photos).
- LIKE – It’s a one page site (less clicking to navigate).
- LIKE – I like how the full screen background images appear as you scroll.
- NO LIKE – This is just my analness but the 6 white boxes at the bottom should all be the exact same height.
- LIKE – It has a really nice colorful color scheme, the stark white background and the bright colors go well together.
- LIKE – This has nothing to do with design, but the Panic Button is a great idea to help people on the verge of a nervous breakdown (PS: it should actually be a button with ‘Panic’ on it, not just a regular navigation bar entry).
- NO LIKE – A lot of the pages use iframes to show content, that’s something a lot of websites did 10 years ago (there’s no need/benefit to using them here).
- NO LIKE – I hate when navigation links take you to other sites without telling you (The ‘Lights, Camera… Videos’ takes you to YouTube), a better way to show a bunch of YouTube videos would be to install TubePress and keep the visitor on the site.
- LIKE – The homepage has really gorgeous photography of homes and the transparent header works well over those photos.
- LIKE – I like the colorful buttons that make getting around easier (great job keeping them on the inside page sidebar as well).
- LIKE – While it might not be fair to other web designers, I gotta give some hometown love to this one! These realtors serve a lot of Tampa Bay (where we live).
- NO LIKE – The inside pages kinda lack color, just a thin strip of a photo would have made every inside page better.
- NO LIKE – The logo doesn’t link to the homepage?
MY VOTE – But the winner for me is IBUKI SUSHI. The full screen photos really work well! I love the simple black and white logo (look fancy), I love the simple color scheme and the designer used a nice photo of sushi on all the inside pages to make those pages interesting as well. And how I know it’s a great design… I now want sushi.
If you are not familiar with how this works, our votes are only worth a total of 30%, so that leaves 70% of the vote up to you, the web designers from around the world.
Voting ends on April 20th, so vote right now!
Now that you know what we think, we want to know what do you think?
You don’t have to get into as much detail as we did, just two clicks will do:
After you vote, explain your vote below and let other people see how smart you really are.
Share this page on your Facebook / Twitter and help your favorite designer win!